Our client seeking to recruit a senior manager to join their highly regarded technical practice in a role within the firm’s Not-for-profit (NFP) technical team supporting the NFP audit practice.
You will have relevant experience working in a technical function or in an audit manager capacity for clients operating in the Higher Education sector.
Working with key Managers, Directors and Partners within both the technical practice and the Higher Education audit stream to maintain an open and constructive environment in which to provide technical support and advice.
Carry out a role within the technical team with a view to bringing technical expertise to the NFP business and bringing experience from the NFP business to the technical team.
Bringing pre-existing knowledge and audit experience to bear on technical matters arising.
The individual will support the NFP Technical Director and other members of the technical practice, ultimately reporting to the head of technical and will be responsible for the following:
Audit methodology: part of a small team providing advice and ensuring compliance with ISAs and the firm’s audit methodology for NFP audits, with a particular focus on Higher Education, including:
- Responding to audit methodology queries from audit staff at all levels
- Ad hoc methodology related assignments including writing and updating guidance material
- Development and delivery of audit methodology training content
- Provision of support for the development and delivery of ‘group learning sessions’ which are led by partners and managers in the NFP audit stream
- Carrying out file reviews for the purposes of internal quality control or testing.
- Audit reporting: part of a small dealing with audit reporting matters specifically related to Higher Education engagements including:
- Responding to queries on the form and content of audit reports and engagement letters
- Reviewing Key Audit Matters in audit reports
- Approval of modified audit reports and non-standard audit reports including component auditor reporting
- Review and approval of non-standard engagement letters, other assurance and agreed upon procedures.
Financial reporting: part of a small team providing financial reporting support to the Higher Education stream including:
- Reviewing the annual reports of large, PIE and higher risk NFP clients, to confirm compliance with financial reporting standards, relevant SORPs and other regulatory requirements
- Provide clear and practical solutions to ad hoc technical accounting queries
- Developing sector specific NFP financial reporting tools and guidance for application by the firm’s partners and staff
- Preparing and presenting NFP specific financial reporting training, updates and seminars both internally and externally
- Writing articles and other materials on NFP financial reporting matters for internal and external communications.
- Presenting technical material at NFP client seminars, working groups and forum as necessary
- Where appropriate, providing support to NFP Partners in sales and marketing activity, including presenting on technical matters alongside pitch teams, attendance at NFP networking events, attendance at NFP technical accounting forums as well as the development of new business relationships as appropriate
- Representing our NFP business and the NFP/Technical partners on matters requiring representation in the external market
- Assisting with the preparation of draft responses to external consultations in relation to legal, regulatory and financial reporting matters
Required skills and expertise
- ACA/ICAS qualified or overseas equivalent
- Educated up to degree level or CTS
- Previously a Manager or Senior Manager in a technical or client facing environment in the Not-for-profit sector(Higher Education)
- Experience of delivering audit and other assurance services to major clients, including PIE clients, at manager level or above
- Specific or specialist technical skills in the Higher Education sector
- Working knowledge of UK and International GAAS, IFRS, UK GAAP and Financial Reporting requirements
- Working knowledge of relevant SORPs and Accounting Directions
- Working knowledge of law and regulation affecting Higher Education institutions
- Proven experience in managing a wide portfolio of concurrent projects and project teams in a project management framework